If you're getting ready for a home swap holiday it's important to make sure that your home is clean and welcoming for your guests arrival.
What to include in your welcome pack:
- Local attractions: maps, city guides, brochures on popular attractions... all of these things are very helpful to your guests.
- Takeaway menus: leave a few menus from local takeaways that you recommend.
- Household appliances: instructions for operating appliances and heating / air-conditioning.
- WiFi: provide your WiFi name and password.
- Security: explain any specific security measures that must be taken in your home (e.g. how to set the alarm).
- Bedding and towels: give the location of extra bedding and linen
- Plants and pets: if required, provide instructions for caring for your household / garden plants and any pet care details.
- Services: provide details of things such as rubbish collections, milk delivery, etc
- Laundry: explain what to do with laundry (bedding and towels) at the end of the swap
- Keys: give details of what to do with the keys at the end of the swap
- Useful phone numbers: taxi firms and emergency contact details (e.g. a friend/neighbour's number, an emergency plumber, etc).
Leave a small welcome gift for your guests:
Many home swappers also like to leave a small gift for their guests. Your gift doesn't need to be much but even the smallest and simplest gesture can leave such a lovely impression.
For example, you might leave a bottle of wine or a tasty treat next to your welcome pack. It's nice to try to choose items that are locally made or have a story that connects them to your home or neighbourhood - your guests will appreciate the personal touch.
Useful household items:
It's also nice to leave out some household items that might be useful for your home swap guests' stay. These could include:
- A universal power adapter
- Phone chargers / cables
- Hair dryer
Start planning a home swap holiday
Sign up to Home Base Holidays two-week free trial and start planning your home swap holiday accommodation.
Search the latest home swap holiday offers