We always recommend giving yourself plenty of time to find and plan your home exchange vacations. However, there can be times where the travel bug hits and you start searching last minute offers. At this time of year we still quite a number of members that are open to discussing possible exchanges for the upcoming winter holiday season.
Tips for finding a last minute home swap:
- Be open to new destinations: the more flexible you can be with your home swap destination the greater the chances of finding a last minute match. However, if you are planning an exchange to be near friends or family, ideally you will want to find a home very close by. But, if this is too limiting, look at the surrounding area and extend your search as widely as possible.
- Last Minute Offers: keep an eye on the Home Base Holidays Last Minute Offers and Newest Home Swap Offers lists. Make sure to also add your listing to the Last Minute Offers list (you can add this from your Member Area)
- Be pro-active: as always when arranging a home exchange, the most successful swappers are often the most pro-active. Don’t just wait to be contacted by other members, start search home swap listings and send the first message.
- Search Open to offers: don’t restrict your search only to members who specifically request your city or country. You will see that many Home Base Holidays members are ‘open’ on destinations they will consider and often flexible on dates so such members are certainly worth contacting if their offers are of interest.
- Non-simultaneous swaps: if you can, suggest the option of a non-simultaneous exchange (i.e. their home or holiday home may be available for the dates you want and, if you can offer your home later on for dates that are convenient for your exchange guests, that should increase your choices).
- Upcoming events: as well as including a good description in your home swap listing, also include information on any upcoming events or activities that might be of interest (at this time of year you could include information on Christmas Markets, ice-rinks, etc).
- Helpful travel info: if you can, include any details such as cheap airlines, which airports they fly to/from and an idea of the cost of tickets/availability for the period needed – anything to save some time and give members you contact a better idea of how feasible it would be to take up your last minute offer.
- Don’t cut corners: even if you're super keen to find a swap, make sure to never cut corners when arranging a last minute exchange. Don’t accept an offer until you’re sure the home and location are suitable and the people compatible.
- Contact us: if you need help finding a last minute exchange, send us a message so your offer can be publicised here on the blog or, if there's space, in the next issue of the Home Swappers newsletter.
Home Base Holidays: home swap accommodation
For over 35 years, Home Base Holidays has been helping members arrange home swap accommodation. Search thousands of home exchange vacation offers
Start your free two-week home swap trial: Join Home Base Holidays