« Great Ideas for a Helpful (Home Exchange) Guest Binder | Main | Going on a Home Exchange? Check out Local Charity Walks »

March 17, 2010


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Lois, Home Base Holidays

Hi Jennifer

Although we do have members who want lengthy exchanges, most are for periods of a few months to a year rather than as long as four years.

As yours is a very special request, it would be a good idea to look at different ways of reaching Vancouver residents who could be interested in, and able to consider, a four year exchange to Portland. Just a few ideas:

1. Check with the specialist school in Vancouver to see if they have suggestions on publicising your offer.
2. Are there any large organisations with offices in both Vancouver and Portland who might have staff from Vancouver coming to work in their Portland offices?
3. Approach the two universities in Vancouver as they may have academics looking for accommodation in Portland during sabbaticals.
4. Perhaps try ads in local newspapers in Vancouver.
5. There are several agencies that specialise in permanent home swaps - it could be worth checking these out and contacting agencies that deal with properties in your area to see if any could help arrange a lengthy but temporary swap to Vancouver.
6. If you haven't arranged an exchange for the full period before your son is due to start school in Vancouver, you might need to think of finding tenants for your home in Portland and look for a suitable rental property near the school.


We are looking for a 4 year house swap Portland OR for Vancouver BC, so our son can attend a specialized school. Is there a way to connect with families looking for this type of swap versus the holiday swaps?


Hello - I may know someone in Adelaide who would be interested. They live in Rosslyn Park SA with a pool. When were you thinking?

The comments to this entry are closed.

Home Base Holidays
Sign up to newsletter